Saturday, July 27, 2013

Ten Answers for Oldsters

When you’re in your eighties no one asks when he meets you, “What do you do?” it’s assumed that you are doing not much of anything. They might ask what did you do? And you might then tell them and qualify for the “has-been” club, but here are ten answers I’d give to anyone who might ask the question, "What do you think you’re still here for?" 

I'm here:

1.)  to think constructively and positively and compassionately.

2.)  to work to maintain my health, appearance, and my home so that I can live independently. 

3.)  to be happy. It’s in my power to welcome thoughts that make me happy and not dwell on ones that make me sad or mad.

4.)  to share wisely what I can of my assets and time.

5.)  to love the way God does, by seeing the good in others and discounting the bad as temporary illusion which will be seen through with progress.

6.)  to be grateful for the good already received and for the hope and faith that I shall receive more when I can use it at the right time and in the right way.

7.)  to help others where and when it is appropriate to do so.

8.)  to avoid complaints and excuses. They are blinders to the good at hand.

9.)  to improve my talents and never leave them behind. Also to find new ones.

10.) to expect good and only good. The expectation of something bad is a denial of God.

If this all sounds like preaching, I confess it’s the preacher in me, but I’m also a member of the congregation. So now it's time to sing!

No comments:

Post a Comment