Friday, April 27, 2012

This Mother Sings!


When someone asks, “What do you do?” I have to stop and think. How can I enumerate all the large and little tasks I do each day? Under what title does my name preside? I have to answer, “I celebrate the role of motherhood in big ways and housekeeping in little ways.”

Now that I’m not just a mother and grandmother, but a great-grandmother, I can say I do that with great satisfaction. How something so native, so natural, could evolve into such magnificence is more than I dare take three ounces of credit for. So, I just celebrate the wonder, the joy, the tears, the miracle of motherhood past, present and future, and give humble gratitude for my modestly homey home. 

I’m not one to brag, though I’ll merely say my children have done me proud. They have had, and are still having, exceptional careers in the arenas of aviation, (Wally), invention, (David), and art, (Robin.) And I have been their cheerleader since the moment I knew they were due to be born. I celebrate them, their dear spouses, and their beautiful, talented offspring every day of my life. 

“But what do you do with yourself aside from that?” one may ask. Well, I dabble. (dabble: to play, dip or paddle in water; to do something superficially.) Of motherhood I can take pride. Of the otherwise accomplishments in life, I hardly think dabbling is something to take pride in. But of these things I can credit myself, -  
1. gratitude; 2. appreciation;  3. lovingness.

In these I am much like Tommy, my canary. I am a caged bird with fantasies of flight beyond imagination. But I love the security of my “cage.” That would be my home. Tommy has the corner windows of my kitchen where he can enjoy a woodsy, watery view of what life might have held for him under different circumstances, but does he sulk over that? No, he sings!  Does he despair that he has not had more to do of consequence than eat, drink, and sing?  No, he takes great satisfaction in his role. Does he miss others of his kind? Maybe, but he can come back to his little mirror and chat any time of day. And I am quite sure he can dream. 

I, too, have a prime view of life all over the world and at my doorstep through books, travel, television and the Internet, which is as far as anyone can observe superficially. My chances for greater accomplishments are not exactly closed doors, but sentinels awaiting my decision to enter. One day I will, but which door, which promise beyond, which time to go through? These can wait. Today I have things to do. Small household tasks which, if not done, would brand me as slovenly. Personal grooming attentions which make me presentable to others and allow me to be forgetful of myself. I have bills to pay, papers to file, reading to do, errands to run, housekeeping, and where in all this does honor lie? 

Ah, there is the rub! In my advanced years I have no claim of my own to fame or fortune. Not that these are essential. But what grand contribution to society have I made? I guess you might say I’ve played a supporting role in life and have not been too burdened by the need to compete or excel in anything but those three qualifications above. They’ll have to be enough.

On Facebook I read of family preparations for an up-coming celebration. Funny, they have not been directed to me, but there is no doubt they are aimed to be for me. A pot luck dinner, a gathering of children, grown and growing. A day I have not been able to honor my own dear mother in since I turned fourteen, except in memoriam. Now I share the honors with my daughter, daughters-in-law, and even granddaughters. It will soon be Mothers’ Day.

I, like Tommy the canary, will not try to justify myself in what I’ve accomplished. I’ll just go on doing what I do best, being grateful, appreciative, and loving. These may not make headlines or draw wide praise, but who cares? They are enough to make me one happy “Mom” and housekeeper the rest of my life! 

And, oh yes, although I can’t begin to compete with Tommy,  I can still SING! 

2 comments:

  1. No love on earth is closer to God's love than the love of parents for their children. On the father side, I think of my Dad, who also left the scene here out of due time. Valjean in Les Miserables reminds me of how my Dad might have prayed for me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsYnhVITf9E

    But as sweet as that is, on earth, there is no sweeter love for me from a Mom that than from my Mom. She is the embodiment, to borrow from a poet we both know, of that gentle presence, peace, joy and power that got me started on the right foot, and kept me on upward wing. Mom, you have found your home and your song through your love and I feel it for us all...true heavenly rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce,
    Your journey to contentment is one for which we can all hope. People are rarely satisfied and continually want more than they have. The picture you paint in this blog entry sets the tone for all, helping us to realize that our true worth is not in what we do but rather, in who we are -- how much we love and are loved. Have the happiest Mother's Day ever and thank you for settling me down by yet another soothing journey with Joyce. Julie Tully

    ReplyDelete