Monday, April 9, 2012

In The Meantime

I’ve just purchased two new books for my NOOK book.: Abundance: The Future Is Better Than You Think, by Peter H. Diamandis and Steven Kotler and The Rational Optimist, How Prosperity Evolves by Matt Ridley. I’m eager to start reading them. 

The kinds of abundance I’m looking forward to most are abundance of time and travel. When anyone can write a book about the possibility of transcending time and space I’ll stand in line all night to buy it. But, of course, I won’t have to stand in line since I have the new NOOK book. I can simply put the name of the book in the Search box, tap on the price, and voila! it’s right there to read. When I have the time.

So, there you have it. How soon can the world and I wake up to Eternity? How long will it take to not just imagine but experience existence in a world free from the restrictions of time while at the same time using what is called time intelligently for the sake of convenience and order the way we use numbers and notes?

In the meantime I shall attend to the Must-Do’s. My calendar day is blank. That’s a first thing in my favor, but I’ve been up having breakfast and then reading for two hours. Then I got the idea for this blog, so here I am, still in my pajamas. For decency’s sake I need to dress, make my bed, do some household chores, and address the priorities of the day. I could read and write all day as if these were a nine to five job I suppose. I’d have to make room for housework, outings, walking the dog, and all the little and large interruptions a day presents. Besides reading and writing I love to play the piano and sculpt faces out of clay. The latter could become a full time career if my talents and industry and fate(?) prove to bring that about. Then I could afford to engage a real life Robatta maybe. (See Blog: My Robot, Nov. 11, 2011)

I’ve tried schedules and may try again. If they are the way to make the best use of my time and space, so be it. But if they continually remind me to work by the clock, the game is lost. Spontaneity always wins with me. No, I think I’ll just forget I have so many hours in the day, get on with what looms up as priority no. 1 and take it from there.

I don’t know how many of you out there are coping with feelings of limitations of various kinds, but I’ll venture that few of you, like myself, have transcended time and space. Maybe you and I are making a dent in these barriers though just by thinking about it.

When I get dressed and make the bed and tidy the house and walk the dog and clean the birdcages and go to the market for milk and attend to other unforeseen tasks and diversions that may come up, then I’ll get to my high priority list and maybe set about doing the things my talents and short-comings will allow. 

A current TV commercial starts out with people saying, “When I grow up I want to...” I suppose that is, after all, the answer. When I grow up I want to beat the odds against success in whatever I choose to do. I can only pray to experience abundance and optimism along the way. 

Guess I’ll get to reading those books now. After I get dressed and make the bed, and....

3 comments:

  1. It's always good to have a plan mapped out...best use of time and space, as the wise blogger above says...at least in the early stages of a career. Most successful people currently enjoying a comfortable life worked to a plan of general and specific guidance towards goals. Those who don't know where they are planning to go in life don't need a map or a plan...because any road will get them there...and the trip may end earlier than expected!

    There were plenty of "re-routes" in my career courses, but they always tended towards my destination goals (worked out in coordination with the wise Master Planner). Now most of the material goals have been reached, and I'm eager to find higher, more selfless, and spiritual goals. I think of it a lot like flying which was my career.

    There's a great poem that was often used to sign off TV stations when they didn't run 24/7/365. It's called, "High Flight" by a young pilot named John Gillespie Magee, Jr. an American pilot who volunteered to fly for the RAF in a new Supermarine Spitfire. He thought of it, probably in an oxygen starved state flying at an almost unheard of altitude at the time of 30,000 feet to test the capabilities of the aircraft. Here it is:

    "Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
    Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
    Of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
    You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
    High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
    I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
    My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .

    Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
    I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
    Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —
    And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."

    Beautiful isn't it? And you can tell it was written by a cocky, bold pilot, can't you? About a year later he was descending in the clouds flying blind and without a flight plan, and collided with another aircraft just as he broke out of the cloud deck. Killed at the tender age of 19!

    So I love this pilot's poem, but I also believe in flight plans! He was a bold pilot, and I am an old pilot. And as the saying is for you bold folks without a plan..."there are old pilots, and there are bold pilots. But, there are no old bold pilots!"

    Remember this as you grow older...and have a plan...just a suggestion! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wally, Your "Comment" is a great addition, (or stand-alone piece) to my blog. I'm afraid I'm in the position of being an old, but not bold, pilot of life on Planet Earth. I've often thought of myself as a Butterfly type, a taste here and then there, and there, and then home to cuddle into obscurity. I'm proud of your accomplishments and feel you have so much more to offer to this expansive life experience.
    By the way, did that young pilot crash the other plane too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce, This is my favorite of yours so far. I read it early in the morning and your refreshing perspective made my day go beautifully as i reflected on transcending time and space. As lovely and gentile as your writing is, there is great power in what you have to say. Thanks for sharing it with other's. Missed you in class last Thursday and hope to see you soon. xo, Julie

    ReplyDelete