Monday, April 2, 2012

Old Age, Is It Good or Bad?

“There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.” Who was it that first said that? I’d like to have a serious talk with him. When the title for my blog came to mind I soon realized that I’d need to do some serious PR selling on the subject that getting older is getting better. I’ve had to start with selling myself. Who’s to blame for the negatives I feel that are associated with old age? Could it be me, or is it simply tradition? Did I let down my mental guard whenever I observed others struggling with symptoms of age related problems? The halting step, the forgetful mind, the oochies and owies. For some, these are the facts of life, the news of the day. I confess, I’ve been guilty of pinning unlovely signs of old age on others and maybe those thoughts are boomeranging back to me. Even as I've joked about it I've said to myself, “But that’s not really me!”

 “You’re only as old as you feel.” That’s another thing people pass off lightly. Well, sometimes I don’t feel all that great. So I try to change my feelings but it's not always easy. If it’s true that longevity is increasing, then I say it should also be true that longevity is getting better. Many I’ve met say, “I don’t want to live to 100.” I know exactly what they mean. Yet change the terminology a little and you can call old age Advancing Years. Now that sounds better. “Advancing.” Would anyone choose not to advance?

I read about a fellow who owned a little farm. He kept working that farm well into his old age and one day someone said to him, “Joe, you’ve worked hard your whole life long. Why don’t you just retire and sit in your rocker on your front porch? Take it easy.”


His answer? “Well now, why should I do that? I never did see any sense in dyin’ before my time is come!” 

To those who profess not wanting to live to 100 I have this to say, “How old do you want to be when you die?” No one has told me they want to die this minute. My conclusion is somewhat like old Joe’s. I want to live each day with what is familiar, good, and sometimes surprisingly good. I’d rather not put up with bodily ailments but if I must, I can still be productive in ways I choose. And I can  also take time to sit and rock on my front porch. Since I’m speculating here I might as well say I’d want life, here and hereafter, to become better and better. I say to the powers that be, is that too much to ask? I’d rather think not. Maybe, just maybe, if I think about it hard enough my thinking will make it so.


2 comments:

  1. I like the idea that with "Older" goes "Wiser!" And that is better than "Sadder but wiser." Lots better!! Love, WK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, my wise son! Thanks for reading! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete