Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!


SUNDAY, JANUARY 1, 2012

I used to make long lists of resolutions on New Year’s Day. It felt so good, transferring those unfinished aims of the old year to a new year. Now I’ve discovered that it’s more fun to let resolutions hang around my mind like friends who give me leeway and don’t hassle. When resolutions stare at me on paper they foster guilt trips and end up in the trash. One day’s good intentions, written on the mind, are easier to handle.

Now it’s New Year’s Day and I’m ready to tuck my Christmas decorations into the old suitcase where I found them. I’ve decided to leave a few decorations up, at least for a while to remind me to keep the spirit of Christmas in the new year. A music box clock chiming out Christmas carols on the stroke of every hour. A garland of greenery on top of the china cabinet with its string of lights creeping through it. But my beautiful little tree has to go out to the dumpster. It’s sad to think how carefully it was nurtured only to give up its young life for the joy of others.

Holidays, once the stress of preparing for them and the cleaning up afterward is over, give a special afterglow when they’ve been spent in the spirit of “Peace on earth, good will to all.” Today I’ve met several strangers who wished me a “Happy New Year!” Would it seem any less special to think of every day as a New Year’s Day? 

7 comments:

  1. Isn't it nice when people you don't know say nice things? Like we are all one family! I think I wrote down a few things that I'd like to have more of in the New Year... but I don't hold myself to it!

    We sure LOVED going to Gullivers Mom!! OXOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night I started thinking about putting away the holiday decorations, but couldn't really do it. In fact, I ended up putting the one short working string of lights up around our bed. (We didn't get any outdoor strings up this year with all the repairs going on at the house.) New Years doesn't seem like a big holiday to me, but is a lovely time to relax and be quiet. Everyone took a nap yesterday, completely unusual for us. Nice to just be able to be quiet and peaceful, a counter to the time of running around and getting everything ready. It's a time to unwind and slowly reorganize for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New Year's Day "Observed!" That's what it says on today's calendar. Your BLOG, Mom, helped me to think of the concept of resolutions in a different way,--a way that is different from focusing on self. Rather, I look forward with resolution to becoming more aware of what God does to fulfill His promise to His children each and every day,--to become more aware, and thus to bring His attributes to fruition in my own life, by virtue of reflection. Not what I am doing, but what He is doing. It's such a simple, but critical mental distinction to observe with new discipline and resolve. See Hymn 65 in the second verse:

    "The fullness of His blessing
    Encompasseth our way;
    The fullness of His promise
    Crowns every dawning day;
    The fullness of His glory
    Is shining from above...
    While more and more we learn to know
    The fullness of His love."

    Resolved: To be more observant and aware of what God is doing for his idea, man and woman, and to see that action reflected. God bless us, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked both Kim's and Wally's additions! Love the relaxing idea!! And Wally's with how God does it when we feel the peace and trust and happy resonance...we SEE it! Love you All! ~Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I've never actually kept a resolution to myself even once, every year is an opportunity to start again, and think of yourself with a clean slate.

    And sometimes life gives us extra incentives to really follow-through. Incentives that we'd rather not think about, but which become impossible to ignore.

    For me, I hope this is that year.

    Don't know if this will work, however, here is a link to my blog as well. Hope it's not too dry:

    http://cavalier829-relevantthoughts.blogspot.com/

    Love,

    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all ofor your comments! This is great! Happy New Year to you all! Endless Love! Mom, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun to be 'in' on your family! I've enjoyed all your blogs immensely, Joycie! (I think of them as essays, though!) - in particular, the one about not being aware of the moment of birth, and how we aren't aware of the moment we fall asleep, and compare it to the moment of death, so there's no need to be afraid of it! Love to you all!
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete