Thursday, January 5, 2012

One Way to Extend a Vacation

Extend a vacation? It's not the easiest way, but it can be rather nice. Catch a cold. If I wanted to start the year out as a lazy lump I could think of better ways, but this one makes it excusable. Last Friday my bridge partner was obviously struggling with a cold. I felt sorry for him. So sorry, in fact, that I must have unconsciously tried to "help" him by taking on the burden. I know better than this, but I was lazy about it and that's all those little bugs needed to barnstorm my mental and physical domain. All week I've been suffering symptoms I'd rather not name. At the same time, however, I've found myself free to take an at-home vacation from usual obligations. That part is rather nice.

One other pleasant part is the weather. Sunny, and in the high seventies. Chamber of Commerce weather for a Southern California winter. When I was a seven year old living in Minnesota, I remember getting a Christmas card from my grandmother who lived in California. It had a picture of Santa Claus wading in the surf wearing a one-piece red bathing suit! I was both shocked and delighted. Bare and boney legs, but big tummy and white beard and mustache. It was Santa, all right. Then when I was eleven we moved to Laguna Beach and I saw for myself how winter can be a most pleasant time of year. I was sitting out on my patio a few minutes ago, soaking up the sun and basking beside our burbling creek. Even with a sniffly nose I was nearly envious of myself!

Inside now, I'm glad that my neighbors here are not the kind that drop in willy nilly. So I can still be comfy in sweat pants and sweat shirt, my hair uncombed and sans make-up. I'm due for a shower and shampoo but there's no one around to tell me that should have happened this morning. In my more advanced years I've finally tamed that conscience of mine. She has become almost like lazy old me and I love her for it!

Lest I slide into complete decadence I have been curtailing my appetite for chocolates. The candy bar counter in my kitchen allows me to go wild with choices of my favorites but one piece a day is my limit and I'm quite good at sticking to that. Not my conscience, but the spectre of FAT keeps me disciplined there.

Now I'm wondering who really cares about all this. Is it worth a blog? Someday, no doubt, I'll range through these blogs and in a school teacher mode I'll grade them. If this one gets an "F" I know now how to delete it. Who knows, I may even delete them all! But before I get to feeling too reckless I'd better sign off. I'll tackle those dishes in the kitchen sink, run the vacuum over the living room rug and make my bed. Then I'll shower and shampoo, get dressed and feel almost human again. I'm feeling grateful and good and glad. Even normal. I do believe the cold is giving up on me! No more excuses, girl, your home vacation is about over.

No comments:

Post a Comment