Saturday, February 23, 2013

Bed Times at Home

This morning as I finished my occasional breakfast in bed I looked around at my assorted books, paper pads, etc. and came across a short poem our writing teacher gave us to prompt poetical nudges. It reads:

Keep a poem in your pocket
And a picture in your head
And you'll never feel lonely
At night when you're in bed.

The little poem will sing to you
The little picture bring to you
A dozen dreams to dance to you
At night when you're in bed.

So..
Keep a picture in your pocket
And a poem in your head
And you'll never feel lonely
At night when you're in bed.


Well, it did the trick. I don't consider myself a poet but I thought I'd give it a try. Wasn't going to go public with it, but my daughter said, "Mom, That should go in your blog." Before I chicken out I'll put it here. 

Big Bed’s Lonely Boons

Why did I buy a big bed
when I knew I’d be sleeping alone?
I must have known 
it would accommodate books, 
the remote for TV and my telephone.
Tablets and pens would find room too,
and there in her blanket near my feet, 
 a little Chihuahua might choose to sleep.
I confess I bought the bed for its look.
Arched white headboard and footboard so high,
a broad breasted mattress
to carry me up in the sky,
as magical carpets are said to do,
to far away places 
adventure lands new.
To dreamlands
and wide awake scheme lands I soar
 in effortless lazy delight 
and more.
Then home again, 
I look ‘round to see
mementos of years that used to be.
Now? (a perk for the "elderly,") there’s no hurry,
no stress, no need to scurry.
No need to get up, no clock to race. 
No warm embrace either, but then,
snuggling down on soft pillows a-while,
what’s that I feel on my face? 
 A sleepy contented widow’s smile. 

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed hearing them read by the author last Saturday! XOXO--WK

    ReplyDelete