Saturday, December 29, 2012

Walkin' Around Heaven in Shoes?

Old songs, as my readers know, often spark ideas for my new blogs. This morning it was that one that says, "I got shoes. You got shoes. All God's children got shoes. When I get to Heaven gonna put on my shoes and gonna walk all over God's Heaven...everybody's goin' there, Heaven."

So, as the little ditty ran through my head I wondered, Why should I need shoes in Heaven? Wouldn't Heaven's streets be paved with gold, smooth, safe, clean, beautiful? Silly, but often my questions won't leave me until I reason them out. This pesky little question kept hanging on and I decided to make it a blog. Writing is my way of learning some things I can't find readily in books. When I write I listen and when I hear, I type. Click, click, click. Words come out, ideas spring forth like popcorn ink on a page, arranging themselves until I can read them and they make sense.

When I was a child my family lived in a house connected to a country gas station in the southeastern tip  of Minnesota at the intersection of the two main highways 52 and 16. Unlike most children, we rarely got to go outside barefoot and never at home. We couldn't feel the grass between our toes or relish the sensation of sloshing in the mud. Why? Because our home was somewhat of a public place. People who stopped for gas and oil would often fish a bottle of pop out of the ice box, take it out into the yard and, when finished, throw it at a tree or rock. It's really hard to believe that littering was so common it was not considered terribly wrong until Smokey Bear came along. We children would get the job of gathering up the broken bottles, bottle caps, candy wrappers, cigarette stubs etc. It was not a job for bare feet.

So, I asked again, If in Heaven everything would be clean, pristine, pure, no litter, no trash, then why would God's children need shoes? The answer came suddenly: Earth is in Heaven. It's, say, like one of the lower grades in school. Until we learn how to deal with the hazards life presents Heaven teaches us how to avoid them until we can see through them, how to keep our feet shod.

But, no, my pesky little question still kept bothering me. How could I have any corner of Heaven less than heavenly? Surely there is no place in Heaven for broken bottles, broken vows, broken hearts, or broken anything. Why would we need shoes there? Well, I reasoned, What if perfect Heaven is here but our eyes and minds are not yet developed enough to see it, appreciate it, enjoy it? I know that there is a school of mathematics far more advanced than I have gone in the study. But it is working, even so. It cannot be denied or violated. It works whether I know how it works or not, but to enjoy the harmony of this Heaven I'm in more fully I'll need those "shoes" to protect me.  I could stumble, get cut, be infected. Ignorance is like going barefoot in a junk yard.

It used to be hard to understand how other kids got to go barefoot all summer and we had to wear shoes and even sox every time we set foot out the door. I never got a sliver in my foot or had a cut from a broken bottle but I saw the doctor pull out a huge sliver from my little brother's foot. It was a graphic lesson. He healed, of course, but it was plain to see that shoes, obedience and wisdom could have prevented the pain of one little boy.

Heaven, as I see it, is not a dangerous place but ignorance, doubt and fear are because they have no place in Heaven. There is a totally good God in charge but His law only helps us. Its truth is a danger, never to us, only to error, no matter how we may seem to suffer if we've been going barefoot. Every day I can say to myself, I'm going out walking 'round Heaven today. But I'd better wear my good old shoes!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks Joyce for helping us figure it out... I love your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are no slivers in heaven, and we will take our shoes from off our feet when we walk on holy ground! Great BLOG, Mom. Have I ever mentioned Laurie Lewis to you? Good country singer, and worth a listen on YouTube if you have time. One that your article reminded me of was called "The Mill."

    I dreamed that I'd died, And gone to my reward;
    A job in Heaven's textile mill, on a golden boulevard.

    "Chorus"
    The Mill was made out of marble, The machines were made out of gold. And nobody ever grew tired Lord, and nobody ever grew old.

    The Mill was built on a garden, No dust nor dirt could be found.
    The air was clean and it smelled so sweet, with the flowers & the trees all around.

    It was quiest and peaceful in Heaven, there was no clatter nor boom.
    We always had beautiful music, while we worked at the spindle and the loom.

    "Chorus"
    And the Mill was made out of marble, The machines were made out of gold. And nobody ever grew tired Lord, and nobody ever grew old.

    There was no unemployement in Heaven, We worked steady all thru the year.
    We always had food for the children, and we never worked in fear.

    "Chorus"
    And the Mill was made out of marble, The machines were made out of gold. And nobody ever grew tired Lord, and nobody ever grew old.

    I woke from my dream about Heaven, And wondered if there would be,
    A Mill like that one here on Earth for people like you and Me.

    "Chorus"
    And the Mill was made out of marble, The machines were made out of gold. And nobody ever grew tired Lord, and nobody ever grew old.

    ReplyDelete