Thursday, November 8, 2012

Curiosity & Discovery at any Age

Today I'll be seeing the great grandie who lives nearest me. He is nine months old and his name is Jack Carlo Murcia. When I write about him I want you to know I am not slighting my other great grandies, Sammantha, Max, Kingston, and Amy. I love them all dearly but baby Jack is the one I get to observe most frequently because he lives the nearest.

As I've mentioned before, to watch a baby at play you can plainly see that life is a matter of curiosity and discovery for babies. It should be for us all up until the day we become curious enough to have the daring to reach out to the "hereafter."

Now, to anyone who doesn't believe in a hereafter or a here-to-fore, I say, That's OK. I won't try to change your mind because I can't furnish proof of either. Still, since I have no proof either that there isn't life before birth and after death, I simply choose to believe in both. Someone once pointed out to me that in order to see the here-to-fore and the hereafter you only need to climb to a higher point of view. It's like seeing the bend in a river from a precipice above rather than from the shore below. Sounds reasonable to me. No one can say there's not a whole lot more to life than any of us have yet discovered. And that makes me highly interested in the here and now from an ever ascending standpoint.

Baby Jack and Baby Amy (who I saw on Skype the other day) are both curious about the colorful toys their parents have provided them. Color, feel, taste, smells and sounds fill their waking hours. As they grow they also learn to recognize love. Later they'll learn the do's and don'ts of life through trial and error and/or the guidance of their parents and teachers. Along the way they'll get educated in social and civic matters. They'll find inner talents in literature, music, art, science, etc. Maybe they will entertain curiosity that reaches beyond the five senses. This is good up to a point so long as it doesn't become adherence to baseless conjecture and superstition.

Now, I'm wondering if all this is so transparent that it's too boring to go on my blog site. Where is it going? I don't know. I just find it fun to write. Words sometimes lead me to ideas I've not thought of before. Just as my fingers form clay into faces of people I've never known. What comes out on paper and in clay is often something unique and worthy.

So, what did I get out of this blog? Only the suggestion that I too, at the near age of 87, am a baby yet, exploring a territory beyond my present comprehension. To have the curiosity to seek a more compassionate point of view (even in the midst of a political campaign!) is to gain peace and understanding. To suffer the pains of what others may appear to inflict on me without striking back?  That is a step toward a better world, but not if it means letting oneself be victimized. Putting up with wrongs when we can help to set things straight is no virtue, but resisting requires wisdom and moral stature.

Some say that age is infancy. I say that if that's so, then great! I'm ready to explore my world with the curiosity of a baby who's learning to crawl and the discovery of a sage who has learned to climb.


3 comments:

  1. Hey, "Gigi"

    I have been thinking about how there are stages in life. I'm in one stage now (raising little kids) and soon will be in another. I don't want to sacrifice what I'm doing now because I'm in a hurry to do them all at once. Right now, they want me all the time, but soon, they may not want me around as much and then soon after that, they'll be on their own.
    Sounds like you are continuting to experience each stage as they come. Sounds fun to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... it is so inspiring to watch a baby and see the world through their eyes. I feel so blessed that I get to do that everyday now! I'm trying to write about all his acheivements in my journal so I don't forget just how wonderful and exciting each day is. I'm sure we can have that kind of excitement each day if we want it! There's NEVER an excuse to say "I'm bored"... there's ALWAYS something else out there waiting to be explored and I'm so glad you know that too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your November BLOGS remind me of a poem by Charles H. Barlow:

    Why search the future and the past?
    Why do ye look with tearful eyes
    And seek far off for paradise?
    Before your feet Life's pearl is cast.

    As deathless as His spirit free,
    The Perfect lives and works today
    As in the ancient prophets' lay,
    Where there's an open eye to see.

    Of all that was and is to come
    The present holds the Mind and Cause;
    For God lives in eternal laws,
    And here today upholds His throne.

    Then rise and greet the signs that prove
    Unreal the ages' long lament;
    The "one far-off divine event"
    Is now, and that event is Love.

    Love you, Mom!

    ReplyDelete