Monday, March 12, 2012

The Early Bird Club


I think I belong to a special club. It’s special because the members don’t know each other or see each other except by the rare chance we meet in print somewhere. In my early morning hours when curtains are still closed and lamp light glows softly in the corners of the room I find ideas to be great company. They lure me along unexplored paths with frequent viewing places into the past and future. Then my friends in the Early Bird Club seem to walk and stand beside me whispering, “Isn’t this absolutely marvelous?”

I don’t know what the others do about breakfast but I generally have a bowl of cereal topped with one chopped-up date, fresh berries, half a sliced banana and milk. A mug of black coffee too. These, enjoyed in my comfy chair, launch my day well before daybreak. Even my canary and finch are asleep as well as a small Chihuahua I’m room and boarding for a granddaughter.

Sometimes I venture out to take in the morning paper but I don’t like to take it out of its sleeve yet. I get enough of media talk later in the day. What I enjoy most in these morning hours is the company of those ideas I mentioned. I especially enjoy new ones, introducing them to old ones and listening to them talk. I do a lot of wondering and asking questions that seem hard to answer. I feel like a child pestering her parents with “Why? Why? Why?” And when I listen, I usually get answers, or at least indications of where to go next for them.

Living alone in one’s senior years would not be everyone’s choice. Some are far too social to enjoy that, but I love it. Still, I also love the fact that I have a spare bed in my bedroom and it is often occupied by one or another of my children or grandchildren, friend or other relative. Most recently I had a dear granddaughter stay a few days with her three week old baby boy. Now, that was the cherry on top!

My sister-in-law lives alone in another state. We were visiting on the phone yesterday and, as before, she commented on blogging. “Why anyone would want to read about another’s personal life and thoughts, I don’t know.” My answer was, “The beauty of it is, they don’t have to! Many of my friends and relatives know I write a blog but rarely, if ever, read it. I don’t care. It’s like fishing. You catch a fish and that is fun, but it’s also just fun to stand on the river bank and watch the bobber while enjoying the setting of serene solitude.” We weren't talking on Skype, but I could just see her shaking her head.

I don’t aspire to living to be the first to reach 150, but if I should, maybe some would like to know how I did it, and they might get a hint or two from my blogs. I’m learning more about healthful and happy longevity myself as I head into these advancing years. Here are a few tips:
1. Get up early.
2. Think about the good things of life.
3. Never stop learning.
4. Be willing to change your mind. 
5. Love, love, love, and never hate! 
6. Treat each day as the grand prize of days. 
7. Again, get up early! It won't hurt you to get up early and it can be far more satisfying than dreamland. What's more, you might learn how to be young again by finding the Fountain of Youth. I welcome you, whoever you are, to The Early Bird Club!

1 comment:

  1. I awakened before dawn today. My dear wife was ahead of me. We sometimes sleep in shifts, although I don't think there's an irritating reason for it. We each would rather get up and think than lie there in the dark thinking and wishing we could be asleep! Later on, if we feel like it, there's plenty of time for napping. But we don't really do much of that either. It's a good time for reading. I read a Smithsonian article about Unmanned Combat Air Systems and how they are being programmed to takeoff from and land on aircraft carriers. Occasionally a pilot trained in a completely different way will "fly" the aircraft from the comfort of a simulated cockpit clear on the other side of the earth. Then I read the testimonials of the first 6 of 100 people who had been healed of severe physical problems by reading a book that explained that disease is mental (not physical). These 6 said that their willingness to think from that perspective freed them from years of suffering under the prescriptions of medics, and their forecasts of inevitable continued suffering. How did it happen? They connected to the truth of being by thinking! So bravo to thinkers! The dawn of all things real is breaking o'er you!

    ReplyDelete