Friday, February 10, 2012

Generations Past and Yet to Come

Yesterday I met my newest great grandchild, only a few hours after his arrival. His name is Jack. Emotions run high at a time like that. Jenny, my granddaughter, and the mother of this wee lad, had given birth for the first time and I knew exactly how she felt. How can such a natural every-day affair set a new mother on such a high pinnacle? "Baby and mother doing fine!" cannot possibly describe it. Then, with family gathered around to complete the picture, another new and precious life begins. My prayer for him is two-fold, that he will always know he is blessed of the Father-Mother of us all, and that he will fulfill the promise by which he is blessed and can bless others.

In this generation I, as his great grandmother, must share the pride and joy with seven other great grandmothers. Glad to do it, though I think I may be the only one on the scene and, as such, am counting my blessings. To be near my children at a time like this is wonderful. To be near them all year around is more than wonderful! Beholding a baby's development and his discovery of this new world brings back a primal feeling impossible to describe. Certainly not in words.

But this is a world of words and in about a year's time baby Jack will know some words. Little will he know how many words he'll eventually know, since his daddy will speak to him in Spanish and his mommy in English! With an American-Spanish ancestry, his name, Jack Carlo Murcia, he will navigate through a world of schools, and then choices of his own. God make those choices good!

At weddings we remember our own. At birth times we think of our own. And we contemplate what our own lives have brought forth. Will we be able to come back again and do it over better? Will we retain the good only from this lifetime and let that be our starting line? The innocence and purity of a newborn would certainly indicate that. I've never quite resolved in my own mind if, or if not, I'll come back as an infant somewhere, somehow. Re-incarnation is a mystery to me, especially since I don't whole-heartedly believe in it. What I really believe, (but cannot prove to anyone,) is that we go on from the experience of death, (so-called,) in a probationary state, working out the problem of being until we get it right. Then, I believe, we rise to a higher state of consciousness wherein we see God and Heaven as our eternal truth, from which we've strayed, only in belief.

This earthly lifetime, (again I believe,) is a dream-state, which, like the night dream, convinces us it is real while we're in it. In fact, it is only a schoolroom experience where we learn the workings of God's law by His light that is shining in the darkness. As that light illumines us and we learn the joy and harmony it bestows, we reflect it more clearly and become the ever-unfolding blessing of God in manifesting His light. With such light we head out into the Universe to discover Infinity. We discover the joy of "Love's divine adventure to be All-in-all!" (Mary Baker Eddy)

Now it is time to stop talking and start doing today's work. Is is wrong to approach that work as play? I think not. And so, to one baby girl on the way, our new baby Jack, baby Kingston, toddler Max, and Sammie, the first of my great-grand-babies who is now five, I say, "Let's play!" There's excitement and fun and great glory in every waking moment, especially when we're fully awake! And generations past and yet to come? I think we'll all meet someday. What a family reunion THAT will be!

7 comments:

  1. Joyce,
    What a deeply spiritual perspective. I loved that it is laced with the simplicity and innocence of a newborn. That contrast is powerful. You certanily made me think and that in itself is worthwhile but i also found myself smiling as i read along. Thank you for sharing your insights and wisdom and congratulations to you and Robin and all your family. Missed you in class Thursday! xo, Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. You are so dear to take an interest in my blog. Your response and the connection we feel is a precious gift. Robin and I were actually starting out to our Thursday morning breakfast before writing class when we got the word that baby Jack was about to be born and so we simply did a U-turn and went to the hospital. I'll send you pictures Robin took. See you next Thursday! Love, Joyce

      Delete
  2. Grandma, I loved your blog above and it makes me wanna drive down this second to meet my new nephew Jack Carlo. And about that family reunion, I would LOVE to meet our relatives that lived before me, the ones I only knew for a short time (XOXO Amy & Wally G), and those who are yet to be born. Thank you for writing this, it evoked a lot of good emotions. Love you Grandma!
    ~erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Erin, I'm so glad you liked my blog. I wish you could have sprouted wings to be here, but you will be soon. Love you! Grandma XOXO

      Delete
  3. That picture of you, Robin, Jen and Jack all together at the hospital is really a keeper! I wrote a musical comment to your story about your blind friend. You'd enjoy watching the video with scrolling score of the Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis by Ralph Vaughan Williams. I hope Jack will be a music lover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wally! It's a great thing to have a new member of the family come. I am blessed to be here and so wish your dad could be here too! He certainly is, in spirit.Love, Mom

      Delete
  4. Hugs to you, Grandma. (G.G.). Sammie and Max love to see their name in print, so I'll read this to them. Samantha has said (when I tell her the responsibilities and trade-offs of being a big girl/adult vs being a baby) I want to be a baby forever! I'm glad she's not a baby, but oh, my gosh, I sometimes wish I could stop time, or at least slow it down for a second and not let it slip by so fast! However, for her, I just think it's because she doesn't want to have to make her own bed and get herself ready for school.

    We're eager to see Jack this Sunday and Erin and the family too!

    ReplyDelete