Thursday, December 15, 2011

"Old" is Good

Why do people pin such a frown on being old? I think it was Shakespeare who said, "There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so." I'm running with that and calling "old" good. The alternative certainly doesn't look good to me!

A number of people I know of my vintage try to extend their lives by exercising, eating right, keeping mentally active. That's good. I do the same, though I am not a fanatic. I've had several ancestors who lived healthily into their nineties and never had to go to a hospital or nursing home, even at the end, and I don't remember any of them doing special exercises or restricting their diet.  So, I say to myself, Live as if today is forever, use good sense and make each day as good as it can be.

I know this idea of "old" being good sounds like a sales pitch for a hard case, or a sermon too lofty to take seriously, but I'm doing my best right now, and while my longevity increases I'll keep trying to make this sermon short.

Bye bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment